|The ATP has launched an investigation into suspected match fixing on the professional mens tennis tour, with online betting sites alleged to have been the vehicle for rigged bets. A report in the UK newspaper the Daily Telegraph alleges that players have thrown matches.|
Richard Ings, a former senior umpire and current vice-president of rules and competition at the ATP (the mens’ tennis tour ruling body), said in the Sunday Telegraph report that there could be a fine of $ 100,000 plus the proceeds of the bet and a three year suspension for any player proved guilty of match fixing.
The ATP found out about the allegations over three months ago, and the online betting exchange Betfair has agreed to supply the ATP with clients’ transactions.
The report says the impropriety surfaced when bookmakers noted a big increase in bets on certain matches. Betting on some first-round matches has been more than double the money bet on the remainder of the first round matches, prompting online betting operation Skybet to announce last week that they take no more bets on the first-round at smaller tournaments.
In August, Ings asked for an ATP supervisor’s report on a match in Long Island after a tip-off about unusual volumes of bets on certain matches by the Sunday Telegraph.
Last week bookies suspended betting on the match between Kafelnikov/Vicente match in Lyon six hours before playing time after bets were made with 'marked accounts''. There is no allegation of impropriety on the players’ part, but huge amounts of bets were made on Vicente, who won the match, despite not having won since June.